Sunday, September 13, 2009

Katika Kiswahili

September 13, 2009

Monday was my official first day of classes. I did not prepare for this trip by taking Kiswahili, like most students in my group so I was placed into the lower class with the Bwana (Mr.) Bens and Becky. Its hard and intense, but it feels so good to learn it.

We have class for two hours, then tea break, then 1.5 hours of class, then an hour for lunch, then two more hours of class. It’s a long day, especially when it takes an hour or so to get home because of the traffic. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to school. I am very lucky.

Kenyans cannot pronounce my name. I am called Kesley or Kelse-a. George, my teacher, even wrote my name on the board yesterday: Keshley. I don’t mind though.

George is a very interesting teacher. His roar can be heard by the other K class next door. His famous lines are: “Bwana Ben,” “Hit my five!” (for ‘good job, high five’), and “KATIKAAA KISWAHILI.” (err-) “KATIKAAA KISWAHILI!!” meaning “in Kiswahili.” I rarely get out a full sentence without a few “katikas.” He is extremely animated.

After a scheduling mishap Tuesday and eleven of us eating our supposed to be sit-down lunch in the hired vans, we arrived at the United States Embassy.

Don’t get too excited.

I expected to get some good advice from Americans who have lived here for a long time. It turned out to be American propaganda. The middle-aged, arrogant white men had no idea why we were even in Kenya. We were told not to ride matatus and to stay in our hotels at night, by a man who had lived here for a month and had never been downtown. Then we got speeches about how great embassy careers are. It was like a fourth grade field trip. The embassy in no way is as a resource for Americans. They told us not to call them if we are in trouble. They are only here to try to persuade and keep an eye on Kenyan government. Although I have the right to free speech, I still have a feeling that I am going to be put on some watchdog list for saying this. Truthfully, I was glad to be able to walk out of “Little America.”

Wednesday was a very good day. School was only half day and our free time was spent walking around Nairobi. Chippa met Tegan and I and Tegan rode a matatu for the first time. We were also kicked out of the matatu while it was still moving. Don’t worry, 5 mph tops.

Thursday was my last day of class with this scheduling. Kiswahilli I at the University is over and on Monday we will have “Kiswahili Camp” in Mombasa with the program and our teachers. After Camp, we resume with four classes: Geographies of Development lectures, Kiswal II, Gender, and Politics with Fridays off!

On Friday, I went shopping with Eric, Tegan and Amber. We went to the mall in Westlands. We are constantly trying to meet up with people but it’s very hard since most people don’t even know where they live. The group met at Alliance Francaise and watched a Kenyan concert until our taxis arrived to go to Carnivore, the restaurant. This is a world-renowned restaurant: top 50 in the world. The premise is meat, lots of meat. They serve one exotic meat a night, i.e. zebra, crocodile, or giraffe. We ate ostrich, pork, beef, lamb, turkey, and chicken. It was a lot of meat. Severs come to your table, offer you meat on swords and cut it off on your plate. The entire turkey on the sword must have been heavy.

On Sunday, I was able to travel from Tegan’s, into downtown, find my matatu station, find the #9 matatu, get off at the correct stop and remember which apartment is mine all by myself!!!!!
My host mom was very excited too!



View from a matatu


2 comments:

  1. wow that restaurant sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. America is great. You actually really like America, which is great. America. United States of America. Great. Best country. Lots of good things in the country of the United States of America. God's favorite country. Dragons live there. Nothing better than America. The Great Lakes are Jesus' footprints.

    Kelsey J. Smith actually loves the United States of America the greatest ever best best best country.

    ReplyDelete