Sunday, December 6, 2009

October… oops.

Kisumu

In October, our class went on a excursion to Kisumu, Kenya, to study rural development. Kisumu is on Lake Victoria (one of the largest lakes in the world behind the great lakes) in western Kenya. Kisumu is Kenya’s second largest city, although you wouldn’t believe it.

We went to the YWCA in Kisumu and talked about development. Then we went to St. Anne's Orphanage, a community of old women that take care of young children who have lost parents due to HIV/AIDS. The children were adorable. They had a lot of fun touching my skin. We met with a woman with AIDS and TB. She was so weak. Her husband had kicked her out of her house and then she was chased out of her community. She is now living with her mother and daughter. Her food is from USAID.

Then next day we went to a fishing community. But I wasn’t really into that because I don’t like fish of the smell and the huge dead fish was getting to me.

We went to Mama Sarah’s house (Barack Obama’s grandmother), but unfortunately she was at a funeral. But we were able to talk to her daughter. We saw pictures of young Barack and his father’s grave.

Also on the trip, I met a wonderful woman named Zeryn who invited me back to work on pots with her. I hope I am going to return to Kisumu the last week I am in Kenya to make traditional Luo pots!

Zeryn asked me if I sell my pots in the U.S. I said no, it was just a hobby. In fact, usually give my pots away. Then I realized that her life had no room for hobbies. It was her livelihood. I am fortunate to have hobbies. Hobbies are a privilege.

Finally, we went to a Bondo district school to help build a floor in a classroom. It was a long day in the sun, digging up rocks, placing them as the base of the floor, and filling in the cracks with dirt. We didn't finish, but it was an accomplishment.

Nairobi

On Halloween, I went to the Basket of Hope orphanage with Paloma to make masks with the eight children and “carve pumpkins” (coloring the paper pumpkins that I had cut out). The children were so excited. Afterward, Tegan and I bought our own pumpkin and carved it into the most wonderful jack-o-lantern on the continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment